How do Orthotics work?
During the initial visit, it may be discovered that the patient has an improper gait cycle (walking pattern) or that the arches of their feet have fallen. Your feet are your foundation! Just as the foundation of a building needs to be solid and level so that it does not begin to crack or lean, so is it that our feet must do the same for us. If our arches start to fall or have fallen, we are no longer level. This shift, along with gravitational forces baring down on us every day, will begin to develop imbalances (which manifest as pain) in our spine and other bony structures. It can start with the feet and ankles, then the knees, up to the hips and eventually, our necks. Yes, neck pain can stem from our feet!
Dr. Gold uses a state of the art scanner to obtain the image of her patient’s feet while they’re in their natural stance. This digital image is sent electronically, and the patient receives their orthotics in about one week. The orthotics last for 2 years and are an affordable and very important part of bringing one’s body back to balance, while also decreasing pain.
10 Reasons Orthotics Work!
- Satisfaction. Because Stabilizers help to relieve many of the symptoms and complaints suffered by patients, use of Stabilizers along with chiropractic care will sustain the benefits and ultimate satisfaction received by your patient.
- Put More Spring in Your Step. Stabilizers affect the total body, make the wearer feel better, and reduce the effects of fatigue while walking.
- Increase Athletic Performance. Because Stabilizers significantly influence pelvic rotation and stride length, and also serve to reduce fatigue and improve balance, athletes experience a more consistent performance.
- Alleviate Complications from Conditions Affecting the Foot. With many diseases, such as diabetes, there is added stress to the feet that cause complications that can lead to amputation. Stabilizers offer a cost-effective, preventative measure.
- Attain Better Posture with Orthotics. With the body in alignment and the patient unburdened by aches and pains, he or she can concentrate on achieving correct stance and posture.
- Align the Body. Orthotics improves foot alignment and symmetry and, ultimately, help improve overall body alignment.
- Improve the Biomechanics of the Knee. By reducing the Q-angle, orthotics relieve stress to the knee caused by pronation. Without the added stress, the knee (one of the first casualties of any gait abnormality) stretches and rotates properly.
- Help Reduce Biomechanical Aches and Pains. Stabilizers positively impact the three critical functions of the foot: support, locomotion, and shock absorption. The long-term effect caused by abnormalities of the gait cycle leads to asymmetrical compensation by the body.
- Absorb Shock. Second only to restoration of balance is the importance of decreasing the heel-strike shock that our system experiences even in the day-to-day activity of walking. Heel strike shock is a major cause of musculoskeletal difficulties that, when left unchecked, can cause harmful consequences.
- Add Balance to Your Life with Orthotics. The fact is, we are not symmetrical. This is intensified when patients suffer from pronation and the body tries to compensate. Since this is one of the most common ailments we see, and the source of the majority of symptoms, it makes sense to prolong the benefits of adjustments with Stabilizers.